Wednesday, March 10, 2010

River Rocks

Piece of the Day:
The river rocks with gentle sway
A drowsy lull, a peaceful grey
With softly chilled spray
To sweep away
The baleful fray
Of everyday

The river runs with steady pace
Along the bank, a thrilling chase
Its carefree race
Lights up my face
Leaves not a trace
Of worry’s place

Prompt:
River rocks. I was just watching the birds in the aviary we have in the living room, and some of the backdrop is decorated with river rocks bought from the craft store. Staring at them, the first line of the poem came to mind, so I thought I might as well use it for my daily prompt. I stopped after the second stanza, because I was beginning to dislike it--I think mostly because of the short lines with the same rhyme scheme repeating.

Work in Progress:
I did a little work on my fantasy novel today. I’ve been waiting for the time to read it through completely for revisions again, but didn’t have the time today, so I just tweaked some things. Here’s part of the prologue that I tweaked:

The Warrior in the distant tree could not believe her eyes. Astonishing enough was the presence of an Immortal, but even more shocking was how he watched as his army was cut down by its own members, like a reaper at harvest--that he did so with an increasingly contented smile. As she watched in fearful confusion, she imagined what she would report back to her superiors: “My intervention seemed pointless, as they defeated themselves.”

Distractions Used:
Will & Grace. I have the first and third season on DVD, and like any TV show on DVD, it makes for a good background distraction.

Currently Reading:
Ranma 1/2 by Rumiko Takahashi. Volumes 8 through 11. Admittedly, some of the plots were kinda lame/cheesy (like a bizarrely tyrannical principal trying to give everyone buzz cuts), but just as it was getting to a really interesting plot, it ended off at a cliffhanger, and I don’t have volume 12. I’ll have to get it next time I’m at the library.

No comments: